This advice has been prepared by Victoria Roberts BVSc MRCVS Honorary Veterinary Surgeon to the Poultry Club of Great Britain.
- Keep feed under cover to minimise wild bird attraction.
- Keep water fresh and free of droppings.
- Keep waterfowl and chickens seperate.
- Control Vermin.
- Quarantine new stock for 2-3 weeks.
- Quarantine birds after taking to an exhibition for 7 days.
- Change clothes and wash boots before and after visiting other breeders.
- Change clothes and wash boots before and after attending a sale.
- Keep fresh disinfectant at the entrance to poultry areas for dipping footwear.
- Disinfect crates before and after use, especially if lent to others. However, it is prefarble not to be sharing equipment.
- Disinfect vehicles which have been on poultry premises but avoid taking vehicles onto other premises.
- Wash hands beofre and after handling poultry.
- Comply with any import / export regulations / guidelines.
These are common-sense measures which can easily be incorporated into daily routine.